Friday, January 5, 2007

My Morning Jacket

www.mysapce.com/mymorningjacket

Jim James (Vocals/Guitar) of My Morning Jacket's Top 10 Albums of 2008

1. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Pt.1 - 4th World War:

I have been a longtime fan of Erykah Badu. I have all of her records and I can say is this is by far the weirdest one yet, which makes me very excited for weirdness to come. You can hear so many new paths of influence here and songs like "Soldier" and "That Hump" are among the best she's ever done. It is raw and creepy, yet still oh so sexy. It sounds like it was subliminally recorded into some hidden army surveillance mic in the back of a tank in the year 3013... she is a delightful being from another world.

2. Dr. Dog - Fate:

These guys never fail to impress me. The songs and recording quality are fantastic. “From" and "Army of Ancients" are two of the best songs in their catalogue. Scott MC Mickens songs never fail to bring a smile
and the songwriting growth of Toby Leaman is particularly impressive here.

3. Calexico - Carried To Dust:

There are some very interesting soundscapes here, almost like its snowing in the middle of Calexico's psychedelic desert world. It is good to feel ice on the cactus... more prickles.

4. Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst:

I like the soft sad moments of this record the most- "Cape Canaveral" and "Lenders In The Temple" are soft pearls I needed to hear this year.

5. Centromatic/South San Gabriel - Dual Hawks:

This is a particularly interesting concept of a split release from two bands led by the same man - Will Johnson. Will's voice is soft and gravely and makes me feel loved.

6. Buena Vista Social Club - At Carnegie Hall:

The original studio album documenting some of the finest in Cuban music has been one of my favorites for years and its great to get this live album now into my ears.

7. Mercury Rev - Snowflake Midnight:

I like it when I cannot understand. I’m running down a wet dark alleyway inside a computer and this is playing and I’m running and I’m scared and I cannot understand and my blood is pumping and I like it.

8. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago:

Soft and slow, like a hot knife thru butter. You think its ghosts or a killer trying to get in, but its really just tree branches against the farmhouse

9. Black Orpheus - Original Soundtrack Re-release:

This film and soundtrack, featuring the luscious compositions of Antonio Carlos Jobim have kept popping up in my life and it was a great joy to see these old friends in a new light.

10. The Complete Motown Singles, Vol.10: 1970:

Is Motown music the greatest music ever made by mere mortals - ever, in the history of all humanity? Is the climax at four minutes and seventeen seconds in the long version of Diana Ross' version of "Ain’t No
Mountain High Enough" the greatest climax in all of music? I don’t know, but 1970 was an important and change filled year for Motown and it still feels great in 2008.

2 comments:

Essay Writing Papers said...

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! Company Logo Design | Life Experience Degree

Sophie Grace said...

I found this blog. Much appreciation to you for offering to us, I, everything considered, find some new data from your post. to a cerebrum boggling degree satisfying and I to an amazing degree like your article a commitment of Thankfulness is everything net worth